Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12 (#2)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:36:49 UTC 2009

>> > - We don't really support i586 in any meaningful matter
>>
>> What does this mean?  Does Fedora not run on i586?  Why was there a
>> mass-rebuild for i586 if it doesn't work?
>
> I know of *no one* in the community who tests on i586 to ensure that it
> works. (If this drags them out of silence, so be it!) It is certainly not
> part of the QA matrix for testing RCs. On the kernel side, I doubt the kernel
> team even has hardware around that they could test fixes on.

Well geode is technically i586 even though it has cmov. I use two of
them on a pretty regular basis. There are quite a few of the community
who have XOs as part of the testing program that handed them out in
the F10 devel period and I know a number of RedHat engineers have them
as well so there is a least some hardware around for testing.

Peter