PolicyKit and malware, was: What I HATE about F11

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 09:58:50 UTC 2009

> Ve haf zer technology, already. :) it's just a case of adding code to
> more apps to take advantage of the awesomeness of PolicyKit, and I
> believe this is scheduled to happen.

I still have one fairly serious gripe with PolicyKit: If one application
acquires an authorization it automatically authorizes all other
applications running on the same desktop -- and I think that is a
potential attack vector for malware. I would really like it if PlicyKit
would issue authorizations that are valid only for a specific
application, i.e. a subject(==user)/tool/action (optional /object for
bonus points?) combination instead of only subject/action.

As it is, malware need only sit in the background and wait for e.g. a
PolicyKit-enabled user manager to acquire the authorization for user
creation to be able to easily install a backdoor account.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty