Why do we need FC version attached to the package name?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:14:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:52:18 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Bharath<ajeetbharath at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Why is necessary to have a particular package tagged as fc10 or fc11?? What
> > is the significance.? As it is, versions of the packages keep changing
> > independent of the Fedora versions.
> > For example :
> >
> > kdebase-4.2.3-1.fc10.i386 is available for fc10
> > and the same version
> > kdebase-4.2.3-1.fc11.i386 is available for fc11
> >
> > It wastes space,time(while upgrading from fc10 to fc11).... (I invite ppl to
> > add to the list)
>
> The package has been rebuilt with a newer gcc and a newer rpm
> (stringer hash) so no its not the same package with a different name.

Yes, and let me add that the ".fc10" and ".fc11" (the dist-tag) is part
of the package "Release" value not just the package file name.
That makes the .fc11 package "newer than" the .fc10 package
in RPM's view, which is particularly important if internally
it really differs from the .fc10 build (e.g. in terms of compiler
generated code, library versions, dependencies).