Packaging PHP

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Mon Jun 22 16:59:32 UTC 2009

Le 22/06/2009 16:46, Christopher Stone a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Patrick MONNERAT<pm at datasphere.ch> wrote:

fedora-php-devel-list or fedora-packaging are better place for this
discussion, already raised (by me) in :
-
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-php-devel-list/2009-June/msg00000.html
- https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2009-June/msg00087.html

>> I'm currently packaging some PHP classes: if I follow the packaging
>> guideline at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:PHP#File_Placement,
>> class files should appear directly in /usr/share/php, not in an
>> extension-specific sub-directory.

Yes Guidelines is very short about this (but didn't say "directly").

>> This seems rather rude: this rule will sooner or later cause name
>> collision between files from packages and the directory will grow up to
>> a mess very fast.

Yes, this seems really obvious

>> Would it be possible to alter this rule to allow package-specific
>> sub-directories ? I know some packages go already this way (is it by
>> special authorization?).

Guidelines didn't forbid the use of a subdirectory
This even seems implicit (at least for some of us)

>> Maybe my understanding of this simple rule is too strict. In this case,
>> I think it should be stated in more permissive terms.
>
> You're supposed to be using subdirectories under /usr/share/php.  Look
> at the php-Smarty package as an example, it was the first package to
> use this directory and I was the one who pushed to create this
> directory for other packages.  The guidelines just need to be
> re-worded.

Il will propose an Guidelines update ASAP.
Please, fix your pending reviews to use a subdirectories.
Regards
Remi