update mechanism for new releases

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 23 20:42:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Seth Vidal<skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> they're not insolvable - they are just very very very hard.
>
> :-)
>
> At the end of the day, if the OS doesn't give you atomic multi-file
> transactions, and your %pre/%post scripts aren't also written
> perfectly atomically, I would say that it _is_ impossible.
>
> In any case, are there reasons to believe that behaviour in rpm has
> improved (in F11) in the face of a powerloss in the middle of a
> transaction? If we start doing OS upgrades and removing power at
> random points, what chance does rpm of recover/resume?
>
> It is an admittedly hard question.

So here's the short version:
if you're doing an upgrade via yum, it writes out all of what it was
intending to do. And it will ( to some extent) try to play back out the
remaining steps if it is interrupted. This is what
yum-complete-transaction does.

However, I would not say it is foolproof or even just
mildly-dumb-person-proof.

-sv