FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 26 21:05:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

>> 17:32:01 <zodbot> jds2001: #170 (Rename "Desktop" live image to
>> "GNOME" live image) - FESCo - Trac -
>> https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/170
>> 17:32:06 <Kevin_Kofler> This one is my proposal. See the ticket for
>> the rationale.
>
> [cut]
>
>> 17:34:03 <Kevin_Kofler> It stops misleading users about the contents
>> of the image.
>> 17:34:30 <skvidal> Kevin_Kofler: misleading? cmon, 1. it doesn't
>> really matter and 2. do you think we're going to take a hit on false
>> advertising? :P
>
> It is sad to read the full log and see that your top argument is  "it
> doesn't really matter". I would expect more depth and reasoning from a
> FESCo member.
>
> It *does* matter; in fact, the current scheme is *disturbing* to some
> of us. Even if we were a tiny minority (which I believe we are not),
> as a FESCo member you shouldn't ignore us and make such jokes: "false
> advertising? :P". Instead, working on to cure the current annoyance
> will be appreciated. It doesn't really matter much which path you take
> when you are working on it but just... don't ignore. I suggest
> reminding yourself that you are a steering committee member and save
> your comedy skills for somewhere else.
>
> Today, you lost some points.

I suggest everyone cut the drama. We're talking about whether or not the
live cd is labeled as 'gnome desktop' or leaving it as it currently is
which says: 'fedora 11 desktop edition: featuring the gnome desktop'.

I don't see the need for the distinction.

Furthermore, I was being flippant b/c I thought the claim that Kevin was
making was a bit over the top. Misleading? That implies intent and no one
is intending to mislead anyone.

Now, I don't understand why it is - but there seems to be a contigent of
people who work on the KDE packaging for fedora who believe that KDE is
being slighted or biased against in some way.

We have a default install of Fedora. It installs a desktop that features
gnome.

There is no bias there, it just in reality.

Maybe reality has an anti-kde bias, but it's not been put there by anyone
on fesco, the board or anyone else. Being melodramatic about it is not
going to change anything.

-sv