FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 00:24:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Orcan Ogetbil<oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> - As a steering committee member, you must prepare for the meetings
> and try to come up with different solutions if you don't agree with a
> proposal, since ignoring will only help to the growth rate of a
> disease.

As I said during the meeting, I believe that this particular item is
out of scope for FESCo. From the FESCo mission:

"FESCo handles the process of accepting new features, the acceptance
of new packaging sponsors, Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and SIG
Oversight, the packaging process, handling and enforcement of
maintainer issues and other technical matters related to the
distribution and its construction."

I really don't think that this falls into such a category.

However, I'm willing to entertain discussion on it, because I think
that the topic is important.  As has been said elsewhere in this
thread, there is no "separate but equal" doctrine in play here. GNOME
gets more support than KDE in Fedora.  Adam Miller brought up a great
point on IRC - if I were a GNOME user using OpenSUSE, I would have no
expectation that I'd be getting the same level of support and having
the same experience as a KDE user on that distro.  It is the way it
is.

Don't get me wrong, none of us is AGAINST KDE in any form or fashion,
it's simply a fact of the condition that we're in at present.