FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 27 01:27:30 UTC 2009

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> It's not the project's role to lift non-default software to the same
> level of involvement as the default software.

That's a premise I don't agree with. The "non-default" software has many
users (see below), it is in our best interest to support it well.

> Why /should/ KDE be treated equally?

Because it has roughly the same amount of users, if not more, than GNOME at
a global level and because even around 30% of Fedora's users are using KDE
judging from the live CD download stats from the torrent tracker. (I know
these statistics suffer from all sorts of inaccuracies, but that won't
change the order of magnitude.) Not supporting KDE would mean losing ~30%
of our current users and 50+% of potential users, and also a sizable
portion of our contributors (me included). The better we support KDE, the
more people in that huge pool of potential users we can attract. It is in
the interest of Fedora as a whole, even GNOME users, to treat KDE as a
first-class citizen.

        Kevin Kofler