FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 28 21:38:38 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-28 03:29:52 PM, drago01 wrote:
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> | [*] Fedora Live, featuring the GNOME Desktop  |
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> | [] Fedora Live KDE Edition                    |
> | [] Fedora Live XFCE Edition                   |
> | [] Fedora Live LXDE Edition                   |
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> | [] Fedora Installation DVD                    |
> +------------(System Architectures)-------------+
> | [*] x86                                       |
> | [] x86_64                                     |
> | [] PPC                                        |
> | [] PPC64                                      |
> +-----------------------------------------------+
> |	          (Download)                    |
> +-----------------------------------------------+
>

> Would this make everybody happy?
> - The default Desktop is at the top and selected by default.
> - It is visiable that it includes GNOME for people who are looking for
> a specific Desktop
> - Other DEs are listed in at the default Download page rather than
> hidden behind links
> - The Arch can be selected at the download page
> 	- Maybe we can make the "System Architectures" section expandable and
No, this would not make everybody happy.  The websites team has given up
on making everybody happy a long time ago.  Just like with the old
download page at http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora-all, new users
would be confused about exactly what they need to choose.  Just ask
anybody that has been helping out in #fedora before we changed the main
download page.

We choose one group to target more than the others, and that group is
new users that don't know what to choose.  We direct those new users at
the default and most common download instead of throwing choices at
them.  People that do know exactly what they want have one extra click
to go to http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora-all where they have all of
the choices listed.  If other DEs were to be moved off of spins.fp.o in
the future, this is where they'd go as well.

Thanks,
Ricky