FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 08:37:34 UTC 2009

On Saturday 27 June 2009 04:02:37 Adam Miller wrote:
> On 6/26/09, Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >  Also, I want to pick at your use of "blindly"; who says it has to be
> > blind? Why not work to educate users about the difference? A "Take a
> > Tour" would probably be good publicity anyway. (You know, take the edge
> > off that "no clue what they're doing" thing...)
>
> I was simply quoting on the blind part, but I actually do agree that a
> "Welcome to the world of Fedora" thing would be an awesome idea.
>
> As I have brought up to Kevin Kofler in IRC, I think before we did
> something like that we would need to first look into having the KDE
> SIG spawn up documentation that matches the gnome-centric docs as well
> as working a little more with upstream to try and get some of the
> "kinks" worked out with things like the network manager plasma widget.
> As the Special Interest Group of KDE within Fedora I think it should
> be our responsibility to be the driving force behind providing
> equivalent support for KDE as Gnome currently receives and once the
> situation is such that KDE truly is getting equivalent back end
> support that it needs to be able to go "prime time" as a "First Class
> Citizen" (as it seems to be referred to) then this topic could be
> revisited.

Even with less manpower than "official desktop team" we're trying to contribute
back to upstream as much as we can, especially technologies which are coming
from us, from Fedora. Eating our own dogfood. So for example we're helping
upstream with our Kits (Console/Policy/Device), our patches (for example we
were first GCC 4.4 distro) etc... We're trying to build bridge between Fedora
and KDE upstream. But unfortunately we can't help with everything. And believe
us, we really want functional KDE network manager applet! As nm-applet is
really bad and I hope they redesign it soon.

It's all about - what is Fedora? What we expect from Fedora? Is it one
monolitic piece of software - so Gnome should be default, then it's OK to call
it Desktop, or is it modular system? Then you can have bare OS without any
desktop at all (is Server SIG still alive?), you can have spins working on
providing/improving specific areas in Fedora, all teams working together
building Fedora...

We need answer before these wars without winners. Both options have some pros
and cons but we have to choose...

"You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe
whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland
and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275