http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 29 15:29:04 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> Saying mono is evil while having DotGNU seems odd to me
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/)

He also recommends against using DotGNU to develop your new Free Software in
(because of the same patent risk as for Mono).

>> I'm not familiar with the JavaScript story, but if he really recommended
>> against using it, there was certainly a valid reason.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

That's a rant against web apps rather than against JavaScript as a language
and I agree with that one too: web apps are a way to push proprietary
software onto people who claim to use only Free Software. In most cases, a
portion of the code runs on your browser (that's where JavaScript comes
into play), but is often licensed under a proprietary license, another
portion runs on the web server and is completely out of your control (so
it's even more proprietary than the average proprietary software). If
you're using a proprietary web app, you're NOT using Free Software, but
proprietary software, even if the browser you're using is Free Software.

        Kevin Kofler