FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 30 08:40:25 UTC 2009

2009/6/30 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Seth Vidal wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, R P Herrold wrote:
>>>
>>> umm -- trying to boot and install the x86_86 image on a i686 unit returns
>>> basically the same under Anaconda's kernel
>>>

>> which is why i686 isos are the ones users get by default.
>
> ... which is bad. Users should get the x86_64 version by default if they
> don't know what they have, it's the one which should be tried first, if it
> doesn't work, they can always get the legacy version.

Sorry, but i have to disagree with that. Because *that* would be
really bad. Give the user at least the arch that works no matter how
old his box is (ok, if it's too old he is screwed anyways). Get him
download 700MB again for the LiveCD and he will walk away. Back to
windows with a bad experience (linux not working at all) or to another
distro.

And i speak of the default for users who cant/want find out what arch
they need (x86). *Some* people dont want to read too much and want
just download something to try it. For all the other users we would
have choices as shown in the other thread with some very basic ASCII
mockup.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium