RFC: Kernel changes that may affect desktops

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:42:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Garrett<mjg at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 05:48:44PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> You have to tell us what we need to change in KDE and give us the necessary
>> time to adapt, even if it means you have to wait for Fedora 13 to push this
>> change.
>
> Hm. So, that bit about KDE not holding Gnome back wasn't entirely
> correct?

I think you mean "holding back Fedora."  Obviously KDE is not holding
back GNOME, or GNOME's development, or the GNOME Desktop Team from
doing their work.

Fedora's deployment of that work, however, is another matter.  Does
Fedora offer a variety of environments with a set of common features
and infrastructure, or is it one functional desktop and one "use at
your own risk" desktop?

True question.  I enjoy the new features in Fedora, like Bluetooth,
PackageKit, and even Pulse occasionally.  And I really like KDE, but I
have cold shivers thinking that whether or not any of this stuff works
under KDE is a crapshoot.

KDE may not hold back GNOME.  But it is perfectly logical to expect
that KDE will hold back a Fedora feature release, if indeed A) that
feature is not yet implemented in the desktop, and B) Fedora wishes to
support KDE and GNOME together.  Assuming that KDE features are given
the same respect as GNOME features.

If that doesn't hold, then no, KDE won't be holding back anybody.  I
suppose I'd be using KDE a little less under Fedora then.