KSplice in Fedora?

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Tue Jun 30 21:20:56 UTC 2009

Dnia 2009-06-30, o godz. 10:35:13
"Bryn M. Reeves" <bmr at redhat.com> napisał(a):

> If parts of userspace cannot re-initialise themselves without a reboot
> then they should just be fixed. Even init has been able to do this for
> years now - resorting to exotic live-patching methods for updating
> userspace is just a workaround for badly written software.
Oh please... In your opinion, every program in existence should allow a user
to hot-patch it? Like: dump the memory and open descriptors somewhere and
execve() new version of itself?

Yeah, you go ahead - write patches, contribute.

Meanwhile, when a security bug strucks in the least obvious place, like
wnck-applet or something, we will have means to fix it without logout for our
users. That's a win. Really. Even if the method is exotic, which I can't deny.

Lam