Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Jun 1 00:07:08 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> Conceivably though you can have a scenario where if a suggested package
> is present, you'll want to make use of it in the %pre section of the
> suggesting package, and fail gracefully if it isn't there.  So Suggests:
> isn't enough, you'd need to order it so that if you choose to install
> the suggestion, it gets installed prior to the suggesting package, hence
> Suggests(post).

You have to handle the situation where the user installs package A and then
two months later installs package B. You also have to handle the situation
where the user installs B and then later installs A. This is true for any two
packages A and B as long as none of them has a hard requirement on the other.

It seems to me that once you handle both of those cases correctly, it doesn't
matter which order RPM chooses when the user installs both packages at once.

Björn Persson