Maintainer Responsibilities

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 07:46:04 UTC 2009

On Miércoles 03 Junio 2009 22:27:13 Kevin Kofler escribió:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > Most bugs are filled by quite technically skilled users. For average
> > users it doesn't depend if it is RH bugzilla or upstream's bugzilla -
> > it's too complicated for them. I know - it's another story... For these
> > people forums are much more better.
>
> Uh, forums are a horrible place for bug reports. For one because developers
> usually won't read them. It's no use complaining about bugs in front of an
> audience of other newbies, the bugs must be reported to the people who
> actually care, and that's what bug trackers are for. Another issue is that
> forums are freeform, they don't have any sort of form which tells users
> what information is required.

For bug reports - indeed. But to help users - forums/mailing list are great.

> I hate lazy idiots whining about bugs in forums when they never bothered
> reporting them to the developers.

Yes, some users are lazy, asking stupid questions and fighting in forum. But
for users it's not easy to report bug, power users should help them (and I'm
trying as much I can)

> And I don't think we can make bug reports any easier, the point is that the
> information is required, those "complicated" forms are there to request the
> information we need.

Bug report can't be easier ever but it's responsible of us to help people but
first they have to know about BZ at least :D I'm helping people on some Czech
forums everyday, often they PM to contact me directly and 99% of the problems
(they think it's a bug)  are not actually bugs...

>         Kevin Kofler

Jaroslav