Maintainer Responsibilities

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 4 15:23:16 UTC 2009

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 08:54 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Conrad Meyer wrote:

>>> That's the idea, opensource behaves completely different from a car
>>> manufacturer.
>> Wrong. It doesn't.
>
> I don't think we have the power to (nor would we want to) force upstream
> to do certain things in a certain way, for ridiculously low prices and
> "no we won't pay you on delivery" but 3 months later. The relationship
> between us and upstream is significantly different from a car
> manufacturer and its suppliers.

I am talking about "customer"<->"manufacturer" and
"manufacturer"<->"component supplier" relations.

Wrt. this the relations are not any different:
* manufacturer buys parts at supplier.
... Fedora "buys-in parts from upstreams".
* in case of problems. customer contacts "point of sale" (garage/car
dealer), point of sale processes request
... Fedora users contact Fedora/RH BZ, ...

What Kevin proposes is equal to demanding car drivers to
a) First identify the defective component
b) Then to identify and contact the component's supplier

This procedure is ridiculous.

Ralf