the end of life for flash player (HTML5)

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:41:48 UTC 2009

2009/6/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>

> Unfortunately, as much as I'd like that to be true, at this point it's
> mostly just wishful thinking. :-(

Maybe, but there are real business reasons for investigating such
alternatives.

But HTML 5 with patent-free codecs is clearly the solution we should all
> fight for! (But hardcoded checks for only Firefox aren't!)

Yes, and the most  popular patent encumbered format will soon no longer be
free for online content distributors (according to
http://www.mpegla.com/avc/AVC_TermsSummary.pdf, the free ride will end on 31
December 2010). That should IMO create some momentum to move to other
formats, as a per title cost could be prohibitively high.