Interested in scanning?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Jun 5 11:04:06 UTC 2009

On 06/05/2009 01:23 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I think a good start would be making a list of problems seen in setting
> up scanners (additional packages required, tweaks), and make sure that
> gnome-scan and the necessary plugins are installed in a default
> installation.

My experience with scanning in Fedora is so awful that I dropped any
expectation: I have an old HP ScanJet 5370C, for which according with
sane-project.org the support is "Good" (avision backend). For me the
best was around F9, when it worked 50% of the time: a scan operation
produced garbage, the next one was usable, the next one garbage and so
on. I always had to scan twice to get something acceptable.

F8 and earlier it produced garbage most of the time and in F10 the
application just got frozen, doing nothing and I had to kill it.

Now F11 is a new low: when pressing the scan or preview buttons from
either xsane-gimp or gnomescan the result is X crashing and me seeing
the GDM screen.