the end of life for flash player (HTML5)

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:47:00 UTC 2009

Kelly Miller wrote:

> Thanks to Apple, that isn't going to be happening.  Apple's
pushing for the
> required default video codec to be the aforementioned nonfree
MPEG4/H.264
> codec, and they don't seem to care whether it can be shipped
by anybody
> else.
Nokia argued against it for patent worries. Probably worried
that if it did get done, some patent troll would come out of
the woodwork with some obscure patent and sue all OGG the
distributors.

Apple's biggest complaint was that hardware decoders for Theora
were far and few between (despite there being specs for it).
Their excuse was that H.264 has hardware implementations in
current hardware and handhelds don't have the power to do the
decoding in software.

I'm not aware of any other large companies that lobbied W3C to
have no baseline instead of OGG/Theora. As much as I dislike
and distrust Apple, it isn't just them. :(

However, I think that Firefox offering OGG/Theora everywhere
will at least help push some of the more aware video vendors to
offer OGG so they don't shove off one side of the Mac/Windows
userbase with extra codec messes. I'm sure IE will just play by
itself in the corner and Safari will play Apple's game no
matter what happens.

- --Ben