GRUB 2 in Ubuntu 9.10

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 16:07:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:

> On 06/10/2009 10:43 AM, Christopher Brown wrote:
>
>> 2009/6/10 King InuYasha<ngompa13 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>  I would like to see GRUB Legacy replaced in Fedora 12 with GRUB 2,
>>> especially with a couple odd systems here that don't seem to like GRUB
>>> Legacy all that much....
>>>

>> Actually the reverse is true, in that you will find that GRUB 2 will
>> support fewer machines than GRUB Legacy. This is why, as the ubuntu
>> page quite correctly states, "upgrading a bootloader is at best
>> frightening and risky".
>>

> So what is the deal with GRUB development? I find it strange that upstream
> already has declared the old GRUB "Legacy" even though GRUB 2 isn't ready
> for prime time yet. Has the patch for full ext4 support that has been
> mentioned before landed in upstream yet? What is the timetable to get GRUB 2
> ready for primetime?
>
> Regards,
>  Dennis
>

> --

Well, the existing GRUB used in distros was declared Legacy a long time ago.
GRUB 2 is a rewrite that is supposed to include all the features the various
vendors have been patching into GRUB Legacy, as well as being able to
support EFI and basically supporting what the Chameleon bootloader does in
addition to the GRUB Legacy's support. Though I doubt fake-EFI would be
implemented in GRUB 2....