GRUB 2 in Ubuntu 9.10

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 20:43:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:

> On 06/10/2009 06:36 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 11:07 -0500, King InuYasha wrote:
>>
>>  Well, the existing GRUB used in distros was declared Legacy a long
>>> time ago. GRUB 2 is a rewrite that is supposed to include all the
>>> features the various vendors have been patching into GRUB Legacy, as
>>> well as being able to support EFI and basically supporting what the
>>> Chameleon bootloader does in addition to the GRUB Legacy's support.
>>> Though I doubt fake-EFI would be implemented in GRUB 2....
>>>

>> The grub we're already shipping has EFI support.
>>
>> I have yet to hear of a problem we're actually having that would be
>> solved with grub2.
>>

> If that's the case then it obviously makes sense to stick with grub
> "legacy" but given it's status who is going to be upstream for this? What I
> fear is a similar situation like we had with rpm where nobody really took
> ownership and vendors carried their own individual patches wich doesn't
> really work well with fedoras "stay close to upstream" mantra.
>

> Regards,
>  Dennis

We are already in that position. However, with Ubuntu's apparent willingness
to test and see if GRUB 2 is worthy of being used in Ubuntu 9.10, other
distros may actually do so as well. Perhaps Fedora should do a test day or
something after figuring out what features we need our boot loader to
actually support and if GRUB 2 would fulfill the requirements.