GRUB 2 in Ubuntu 9.10

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Jun 11 08:49:33 UTC 2009

On 2009/06/11 10:12 (GMT+0200) Michael Schwendt composed:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:17:07 -0400, Jeremy wrote:

>> [1] So, the gory history for those who might be interested.  Eight years
>> ago (!), we decided that the advantage of not having to rerun lilo after
>> changing the config file as you can just read the config file off the
>> filesystem with grub was worthwhile.

> Why is GRUB reinstalled with every kernel update then?

To provide additional opportunities for the update process to make a system
unbootable?

A boot loader is a very special utility, quite unlike the kernel, fsck, udev,
hal or bash. A boot loader should need to be installed no more than once per
physical system disk, then left alone, no matter how often updates occur.
Configuring the boot loader's config file is a separate matter.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/