Orphaning Packages: audacious and dependencies

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 16:28:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:09:24 -0300, Paulo wrote:

> I would create a symbolic link audacious -> audacious2, so the previous
> bin can still be called.

AFAIK, this is not done in Debian/Ubuntu either. The .desktop file has
been renamed, too, and additionally the Fedora "--vendor fedora" has had
to be dropped (or else one would need to keep such patches, which deviate
from upstream, forever). The manual pages have been renamed to "audtool2"
and "audacious2".

> I would also call the libs package libs2, so the previous lib package do not
> need to be removed during the upgrade.

That would create an orphan, an obsolete audacious-libs package which
is not tied to any current src.rpm package, and which could cause
problems in the future (such as unresolvable deps).

http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-2.0.1-0.1.fc10.src.rpm
http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-plugins-2.0.1-0.3.fc10.src.rpm (updated)