[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Xose Vazquez Perez xose.vazquez at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 18:44:15 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Xose Vazquez Perez<xose.vazquez at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In Apache Benchmark:
>> "Ubuntu was able to sustain more than 58% more requests per second than Fedora 11"
>>
>> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora11_ubuntu904_perf&num=2>

> Why did you cherry pick the bad news instead of the summary?

I am not interested when Fedora is doing right.

> The question becomes what is significantly different in the Apache
> test? Is the Apache test essentially a network i/o test? What is
> significantly different here that would not end up being tracked to an
> upstream kernel networking stack regression? Is the apache performance
> collatoral damage from selinux related latency?    Something else in
> userspace slowing Apache down. I've no idea.   I can't imagine its
> compiler related options on the Apache binaries.

All "Phoronix Test Suite"[1] tests run in *local* host. NO net.

Basically the "apache" test do:
download http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.11.tar.gz
and http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/benchmark-files/apache-ab-test-files-1.tar.gz

then compile apache ; exec it and run ab:
$ ab -n 500000 -c 100 http://localhost:8088/test.html

get more info doing "find . | grep apache" inside phoronix-test-suite dir

To clone Phoronix apache test:

$ wget http://www.phoronix.net/downloads/phoronix-test-suite/releases/development/phoronix-test-suite-2.0.0a3.tar.gz
$ tar xvf phoronix-test-suite-2.0.0a3.tar.gz
$ cd phoronix-test-suite
$ ./phoronix-test-suite install apache
$ ./phoronix-test-suite run apache
wait...

[1] http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
--
Polycommander, Erkowit, Urquiola, Andros Patria, Cason, Aegean Sea, Prestige, ...