Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 13 19:22:25 UTC 2009

Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> Yeah some guy in a mud hut with no DSL only a 56k modem, Power 4 hours a
> day... NetInst FAIL.

We can't support everything. I'm sure there are some people still using a
486, we already don't support them anymore.

A reasonably fast Internet connection is basically required to fetch updates
for Fedora. While yum-presto, and in the near future also LZMA compression,
lower the bar of "reasonably fast" a bit, there's a certain minimum which
will always be there.

And there's not just the netinstall option, there are also the live CDs.
Choose your desktop environment (KDE or GNOME), get the corresponding live
CD, install it, install all the other needed stuff through PackageKit. If
your Internet connection is too slow for that, it's also too slow for the
routine updates.

        Kevin Kofler