[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Jun 14 00:48:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:05:13PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > However, the sad truth is that -currently- neither xorg-drv-intel nor
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati / xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd are capable of generating
> > competitive 3D performance (Especially the recent GEM'ed versions of
> > xorg-drv-intel) and far less mature than, say, nvidia.ko.
> I don't care how they compare with proprietary modules. I want comparisons
> between the different Free drivers and recommendations for the best
> hardware when benchmarked using Free drivers. They have no such benchmark.

I think it's definitely valuable to have good data on exactly what the
performance difference betweent the proprietary and free drivers is.
(Leaving aside for the moment the question of whether Phoronix is providing
"good data" -- I don't really know.)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect