What I HATE about F11

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sun Jun 14 17:34:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 06:13:51PM +0200, Julian Aloofi wrote:

> So, solving this is pretty easy, even for newbies. But I agree that the
> error message will not help someone without advanced knowledge. Although
> I think people running Samba generally will know where to look for the
> problem.

I think this is actually a problem that needs solving. We have several
network services that are either installed by default or might be
expected to be part of a standard setup, but which don't work because of
the default firewall rules. The Anaconda people have (sensibly, IMHO)
refused to simply add further exceptions to the firewall policy.

So, what should happen here? Should we leave the firewall enabled in
these cases* by default and require admins to open them? If so, is there
any way that we can make this easier in some Packagekit-oriented manner?
If not, how should we define that packages indicate that they need ports
opened? Should this be handled at install time or run time?

* The case that I keep hitting is mDNS resolution, which requires
opening a hole in the firewall
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org