What I HATE about F11

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Jun 14 21:10:05 UTC 2009

Dnia 2009-06-14, o godz. 22:12:47
Krzysztof Halasa <khc at pm.waw.pl> napisał(a):

> a false feeling that the "non-privileged" account doesn't need the same
> level of protection as the root account needs.
The feeling isn't false - overtaking a root-run program is potentially more
harmful to the system, other users and everyone in sight (root can harm the
network, for example). Hence the root account does need more protection.

I think you wanted to refer to false sense of safety that someone could derive
from running unprivileged. This is a danger much less than giving any OS to any
"normal" (non-technical) user.

You need to educate users about all the risks that are left and NOT give them
deadly weapons which they don't know how to use and presume they'll going to
be scared of them for the rest of their lives (they're not).

Lam