Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jun 15 06:04:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:34:37 -0700, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 17:54 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>
>> If Fedora Unity's motivation to continue a service to the community -at
>> it's own expense, not yours- is holding you and the other teams hostage,
>> call S.W.A.T.
>
> If it was just Fedora Unity's expense that'd be one thing.  But it's
> not.  Upstream anaconda is still going to have to deal with split media
> bugs and code.  Compose tools are still going to have to handle split
> media cases (createrepo being a notable one).  QA is still going to have
> to test this install method or else be faced with scrambling to fix
> stuff when Fedora Unity goes to make them.

That's not what happened during the Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 release cycles.

> I really don't mind making split media, if there is a real hard need for
> it.  I wish that Fedora Unity would do the legwork to ensure there
> really is a need for split CDs that isn't being met by our other
> offerings before claiming that split CDs are a hard need.

Fedora Unity is not going to do the legwork to ensure you continue to make
split media. Somebody else is going to need to figure out whether it is
worthy of the corporate resources being spent at it.

Like I said before, Fedora Unity can do it, has a proven track record
showing to be able to do it and, if the Fedora Project decides to not ship
split media anymore, will do it, regardless of how valuable you or anyone
else outside Fedora Unity thinks it is.

The question is however, how well is the Fedora Project willing to let us
cooperate within and through the Fedora Project?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip