Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jun 15 06:34:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:20:09 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen
<kanarip at kanarip.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:37:41 -0700, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 03:30 -0500, King InuYasha wrote:
>>> A script that takes the DVD image to produce the CD versions would
>>> basically
>>> require extracting the whole DVD image and then generating new ISOs
from
>>> that tree. Maybe mirrors could do it if you want to save space on the
>>> main
>>> server or whatever.
>>
>> That only serves to complicate matters for the users.  Good chunks of
>> our users have a hard enough time figuring out what to download, how to
>> burn it, and how to install it.  Adding in some weird script to take a
>> DVD.iso file and split it into many smaller files isn't going to help
>> matters, and certainly doesn't improve things for anaconda/qa/releng.
>>

> This to me sounds like there's two separate problems;
>
> 1) Users might not know what to download
>
> 2) We might put resources into something that isn't used as much as we
> would have hoped.
>
> I'm not sure whether one single solution is appropriate for both
problems.

Looking at a potential cause for the discrepancy in the numbers;

Look at how we offer CDs at http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

I can't find them linked directly anywhere as opposed to the DVD which is
directly linked from the main page. There's one explanation for the higher
DVD download numbers...

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip