What I HATE about F11

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 15 11:54:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 10:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 22:19 -0400, Charles Butterfield wrote:

> >       * Samba (outbound) browsing requires firewall mods
> I don't know how Samba works, so forgive me if I say obvious stupidity,
> but shouldn't *client* work even behind closed firewall (like with any
> other services like ssh, ftp, ...)? Isn't this a samba bug then?

Samba will do a broadcast name resolution to look up the hostname of the
target.  This is in line with expected windows behaviour we are asked to
eumulate.

Unless helped otherwise (ip_conntrack_netbios_ns) it does not know that
the unicast datagram in return is to be matched to the outbound
broadcast.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett