Heads up: NoArch Sub Packages Feature continues

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 14:19:33 UTC 2009

Hi everyone!

The Noarch Sub Package Feature continues in F12. I just updated the package
lists and statistics on the Feature page[1]. I want to thank all the brave
package maintainers that converted some of their sub packages in the short
time frame before the F11 freeze and so gave us a test run before changing a
larger number of packages in F12.

For package maintainer things that have been said before are still valid
(surprisingly Fedora didn't change much during the freeze). -doc, language
and -common packages are still the main candidates for being switched to
noarch while game or other data files are typical candidates for being split
into a new noarch sub package.

Please check your packages[2] whether they can make use of this feature and
add your changed packages to the list[3].

There is one more thing left: Noarch sub packages should - most likely - be
reflected in the Packaging and the Package Review Guidelines. I - as a RPM
developer - really don't have a opinion how the Fedora Guidelines should
look like and I also believe this is a Fedora business I should not
interfere with. Can someone interested in this topic - probably someone in
or near the Packaging Committee - please take over this issue and lead the
discussion. I will otherwise drop it from the Feature.

Florian Festi

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoarchSubpackages
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/b/ba/NoarchCandidates.txt,
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/1/13/PackageFileTypesForComaintainers.txt