Heads up: NoArch Sub Packages Feature continues

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 15 15:07:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Florian Festi wrote:

> Seth Vidal wrote:
>> Other people's noarch subpackages? Shouldn't they have obsoletes in place,
>> too?
>>
>> I know it's hard to grok but for all intents and purposes a arch change is
>> A LOT like a package rename.
>
> I like to disagree. I really see no reason why an obsolete should be needed
> here. Sure there is information loss when switching to noarch and back but an
> obsolete can't fix this.
>
> I thought I had fixed the multilib behavior of yum some time ago especially
> for such arch changing cases and there should be test cases covering that.
> Looks like I need to have a look into it again.

It's not about the upgrade process. It is only about compare_providers.

You have 3 pkgs providing 'foo'

foo-1.1.noarch
foo-1.0.x86_64
foo-1.0.i386

Which one do you pick on x86_64 or i686?

We weight extra toward pkgs in the same arch as the running system. And
then the arch NEAREST to the running arch.

-sv