Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 22:01:14 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell (gmaxwell at gmail.com) said:
> I doubt having consistently lower FP precision is anything many users
> are asking for. The few that do can usually take care of themselves.

And yet you say we should push them all to x86_64, which has
the same lower precision?

> > - More clearly delineates our support set of targets, sticking true
> >  to forwards innovation, not necessarily legacy support
>
> If thats the case why maintain x86 at all?

Because it's 58% of our userbase (source: F11 torrent stats.)

> Take your answer and now apply it to why fedora should maintain
> support for x86 CPUs without SSE2.

Because that's significantly less of our userbase. I'd love to have
harder numbers, but we're still talking about a set of CPUs that
(outside of corner cases like the Geode and C3) ceased production
anywhere from 4 (Athlon) to 6 (P3) to 10 (P2) years ago.

Bill