What I HATE about F11

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 01:12:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Casey Dahlin<cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should just make the command line more friendly so users don't mind reaching for it. I vote we add clippy.

I'm not saying that necessarily needs to be friendlier to use but it
may need to be more discoverable as to when it is expected to be used.
What I am saying is, there maybe a gap in the reality and assumed
expectation on where and when self-installing novice administrators
should be diving into the commandline. Nothing in how our default live
CD based install experience is put together points to the commandline
as a tool for doing infrequent oddball tasks not explicitly covered in
by the task specific gui tools in the system menu.  Is the expectation
that configuring sudo for their user or the wheel group is a best
practice for these sort of infrequent tasks? Do we have system
interactions designed in such a way that encourages commandline usage
best practices? Lacking any system interaction that points to running
tasks in a terminal under sudo, trying to login to gdm as root to gain
enough privileges to do file re-permissioning or editting system wide
config files seems like an obvious thing novice admins would try doing
and be frustrated by when that didn't work.

-jef