Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Jun 16 09:56:26 UTC 2009

> Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.
>
> I've submitted https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support. It
> defines the default arch as i686 + SSE2.

Please don't do this, at least without the formation of a well-backed
and fully official secondary arch that would allow further OLPC XO-1
release possibilities as there are now. It would be really painful to
lose support for the XO-1s in the world, 99.99% of which are running
Fedora.

Daniel
(this is a personal view, I don't speak for OLPC or influence their
official XO-1 support plans)