What I HATE about F11

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:17:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ve haf zer technology, already. :) it's just a case of adding code to
> more apps to take advantage of the awesomeness of PolicyKit, and I
> believe this is scheduled to happen.

I grok PolicyKit.  I'll recast my statement. Has anyone draw a set of
concentric circles around the existing Gnome applications that help
define which applications that still need PolKit enhancements for
expanding administrative use cases?

I think the inner such circle has been established, at least
implicitly in the set of PolKit equipped tools we have right now and
defined by the console user policy.  Things users will need to do
frequently on a self-administered laptop or desktop that need
privileged access while physically at the device.  I think that's
reasonably well understood. And I think its reasonable that those got
implemented first as a priority.

Its the next circle, the less frequent administrative chore tasks,
that I'm not sure its well defined in terms of which applications need
PolKit support added in. Maybe Nautilus is that circle, maybe its not.
Maybe its not time to start work on the stuff in that circle. But I
think it would be a good idea to define that next circle of
functionality as the currently boundary between what you can
comfortably do and not do without cmdline knowledge and to give
pointers as to where the next priorities are for PolKit integration
work.

-jef