Heads up: NoArch Sub Packages Feature continues

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 06:26:22 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:
> you would expect foo-1.1.i386 to be installed instead of foo-1.0.x86_64?

First this is not the case we've been talking about. Noarch packages are
always arch compatible to any package they replace/update. There should
never be an obsolete necessary, as for other compatible arch changes (i386
-> i586 -> i686)

The whole cross incompatible arch update stuff is probably better discussed
on the yum list. But heh, Seth, you you brought that issue up yourself ;-P=

Florian

PS:

Nevertheless I have my own opinion: Staying at an old version without even
an (error) message is a bad idea - especially for old versions that have
security issues and will most likely require libraries that are going to be
updated, too (OK, this would at least create the error message).

Updates across incompatible arches should only happen when upgrading from
one release to another and especially then a flexible handling is desired.