Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Wed Jun 17 13:09:30 UTC 2009

On 06/15/2009 07:53 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.

I'm in favour of keeping i586 or i686 without SSE for x86 systems. As
many people pointed out, users with these systems don't expect huge
performance improvements; you should go to x86-64 for that.

So in my opinion it's not worth killing the huge PIII/Athlon system base
for a small performance gain. I'm not counting the public reaction,
marketing-wise, if we do this (yes, this also counts).

I'm against having i586 and i686+SSE2 as as secondary arch for
management reasons, they are too close and would probably generate too
much work for nothing.

Steven