rpm AutoRequires/AutoProvides and dsos not in linker path, do we care ?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jun 17 16:00:06 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> said:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:42:38AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > That breaks things, because a program in /usr/bin may require a module
> > or library in a private directory.  You have to search all directories
> > for provides to satisfy internal requires.
>
> If a program in /usr/bin requires something in a private, non-system
> directory that is provided by a different package, then the
> provides/requires need to express that somehow, perhaps by using a
> full path in the provides.

I was talking about in the same package.  For example, MRTG installs in
/usr/bin/mrtg, and then needs private perl modules.  If you simply
remove the private directories, you'll end up with broken dependencies
because /usr/bin/mrtg needs modules that are not provided anywhere.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>