No sound in rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:06:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Ray Van Dolson<rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> Hmm, I just always figured I was supposed to add myself to the audio
> group.  So these files are supposed to be owned by my local user
> account when I log in eh?

No...  you should be added to the acl list associated to the device if
you are the physical console user as per the authorization policy
managed by PolicyKit.  This it how it works from at least F10 onward.
Mucking around with file ownership directly is "old think." The system
scripts associated with pam use to do that on user login and
logout...but has been replaced with the more flexible solution
involving acls that PolicyKit based hardware access authorization
makes use of.

for example on the F10 system I'm on right now:
ls -la /dev/snd/seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 3 2009-06-17 07:07 /dev/snd/seq

getfacl /dev/dsp
# file: dev/snd/seq
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rw-
user:myuser:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

I do not own the file in the traditional Unix permissions sense. But I
am listed in the acl list with read write access.  If your user is not
in the acl list, something misfired in the area of the PolicyKit based
authorization handling.

-jef