Fedora 11 wireless-tools yum erase?

TK009 john.brown009 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:22:04 UTC 2009

On 06/21/2009 05:56 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM, John W. Linville<linville at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> If a tool needs something to perform one of its functions it needs it.
>> There isn't a "anaconda-no-wireless" package, etc.
>>

> This speaks deeply to a cultural understanding as to what the concept
> of networking is.
>
> It seems obvious there are people who would like to consider wireless
> as "optional." as this is an historic artifact of how networking tech
> has developed over time.  I wonder, have we reached the point where
> other people have started to consider a wired network "optional" as
> well?
>
> -jef

This is a good question. Laptops are becoming the norm if not already
so, add "smart devices" and wireless is looking more like the standard
rather than exception. We are not there quite yet though.

To most (almost all) desktop users, wireless packages are superfluous.
That is generally not the case with a laptop user. As long as they have
the hardware to support both, they will continue to need (want) both. So
no, I do not believe we've reached a point where wired would be
concidered optional, not yet anyway.

TK009