autodownloader, live spins and packaging

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jun 23 02:56:07 UTC 2009

I am the maintainer of the Live Games Spin and am looking for feedback
on dealing with games (though this could apply to other types of packages
as well) that have some of their content obtained using autodownloader.
Currently I don't want to include games that can only be played using
downloaded content on the Live Games Spin. I don't think that gives
a good experience using the Live Games Spin as a demo (which is what
I think its focus should be). And space is tight right now so cutting things
that used the auotdownloader first was a useful way to get down to size.

However, it's possible that lzma compression of live images might be available
for F12, which would allow me to add back some game packages that had to
be cut because of space. While I still wouldn't want to include games that
were only playable using autodownloader, there are some packages that have
some data included in Fedora and other data that gets downloaded. So that
you can play some of the games without having to download data, but not
all of them. For example the quake3 package is needed for some games in
Fedora, but it makes menu items for some games that are only playable with
large downloads.

For the games spin, I'd like to be able to either not show menu items for
the games that need downloaded data or have a way to not include the
game stubs that need downloaded data to play. I don't believe the first
option is allowed for spins. So I am thinking of filing RFEs against
packages this applies to, to split out the autodownloader stuff into a
separate rpm that is optional. Does this sound reasonable? If so, is this
something that should be recommended in a packaging guideline?