update mechanism for new releases

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 25 16:27:39 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 11:05 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> The problem with preupgrade is that it needs user interaction and a
>> lot of space. It downloads the distro update locally, reboots the
>> machine and then runs anaconda.
>
> Well, as yum doesn't group transactions, yum upgrades also require a lot
> of space (enough to store the entire set of upgrade packages, as they're
> _all_ downloaded prior to the operation).

...if you just run 'yum upgrade' and not 'yum upgrade <list>'. I don't
know that I've /ever/ done all-at-once, if only because of more risk of
the transaction taking so long that something bad happens (e.g. power
failure). F10 -> F11 was just especially bad due to all of KDE needing
to be upgraded in order to upgrade yum (due to openssl deps).

The trick, as I've discovered, is not to reboot in between chunks ;-).

--
Matthew
"Who wants to sing?" -- Orcs (Warcraft II)