yum 3.2.23 more than 10x slower than 3.2.21?!

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Jun 26 15:25:10 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>>
>>> and if you can make this happen every time with 3.2.23 if you could
>>> please run:
>>>
>>> time yum -d 3 list updates | grep 'time:'
>>
>> You were not talking to me, but I tried and
>> look at this: (added -C to avoid net access)
>>
>> # time yum -C -d 3 list updates --disablerepo=atrpms\* | grep 'time:'
>> Config time: 0.271
>> repo time: 0.001
>> pkgsack time: 86.684
>
> and you're POSITIVE nothing is being downloaded here? Nothing at all?
>
> Run it again, please and capture all the output and post it to a pastebin.

I have a hint and it points to the "same rpms in more than one repo"
hypothesis.

yum -d 5 lists a lot of

excluding for cost: firefox-3.0.11-1.fc10.i386 from updates
excluding for cost: gnome-session-2.24.3-1.fc10.i386 from updates
[...]

I see something related to cost handling fixes in the yum Changelog.

My guess is that elements are removed from an array one at a time
and everything after that is moved back one position.
Or some inefficiency of that kind.

You may be able to reproduce it by configuring two updates repos.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it