FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sat Jun 27 02:26:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 04:10:16AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > It's not a default if you're providing a choice.
>
> I see no reason why we can't provide a choice of 2 desktops.

How is a non-Linux user supposed to choose? We've optimised the Linux
install procedure to the point where there's very little unusual
terminology used, but "Gnome" and "KDE" really aren't something that a
user can make an informed choice about. The OpenSuse install screen
gives you no information that helps you decide which you want, and the
only thing I can think of that would actually help would be something
like:

"Gnome: Your Fedora install will look like Ubuntu, but blue. Choose this
option if you want to run the desktop that has more Fedora developers
working on it"

"KDE: Your Fedora install will look different to Ubuntu, but will
otherwise work pretty much as well except for when things aren't as well
integrated"

Which still isn't a great deal of help.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org