FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 27 14:21:49 UTC 2009

On 06/27/2009 09:13 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> As for integration, we offer a perfectly integrated KDE spin, thank you very
> much... We're working really hard on distro integration. For example, why
> do you think I wrote that KDM ConsoleKit patch back in F7 times (a modified
> version of which got merged upstream in KDE 4.2)? Where are we lacking
> integration?

I don't disagree that the current team is doing a good job but there
isn't enough resources to handle everything correctly and the current
status is far from perfect. There are a number of things currently
lacking compared to the GNOME experience driven by GNOME developers
within Fedora:

* Proper integration of NetworkManager. KDE currently is using
NetworkManager-gnome which doesn't integrate well with KDE

* KPackageKit doesn't do mime, font or codec integration like
gpk-application does and is generally in a more broken state. Clicking
on a downloaded RPM used to fail in Fedora 11 GA.  No support for
creating service packs either in KPackageKit

* For good codec integration, you need gstreamer to be the default.
Phonon gstreamer backend doesn't seem to be as mature as the Xine
backend yet.

* Solid needs a proper DeviceKit backend and that needs to be followed
up with integration of libatasmart et all.

* GDM integrates better with Plymouth via plymouth-gdm-hooks package

* No support for fingerprint readers in KDM

This is not a comprehensive list. Merely things I can think of, top of
my head.

Rahul