FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:46:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM, drago01 wrote:
>>> Why treat XFCE as second class citizen ...
>>
>> Easy answer: because the size of its userbase is not in the same order
>> of magnitude with Gnome.
>
> Yeah but only because it is treated as a second class citizen (I hate
> using this kind of arguments but I think you should get the point).

Possible. But staying within the topic, KDE, even as a second class
citizen in Fedora, has a comparable number of users to Gnome, unlike
other DE's that you mentioned.

>>> ok lets add it to the list.
>>> But what about LXDE ?  .....
>>>
>>> You see where this leads too ... a distro should (I would even say
>>> must) provide a default choice.
>>
>> This is weak reasoning because of your above weak starting point.
>
> No its not, the above point is simply replacing KDE with something
> else so that you can see how your own arguments sound to others.

Please (re)read Kevin's previous emails. He gives some numbers and
explanations. That will help you understand where your assumption is
weak.

>>> Its a distro not a bunch of packages that gets shipped.
>>>

>> So?
>
> We can't simply provide a list of 15000 packages and tell the user
> "please choose" we have to select a default set of packages. (ie what
> we are doing now).
>
> This has nothing to do with KDE, I just think that asking the user
> tons of question "what would you like to use" is simply wrong its OUR
> (ie. the distro) job to do this choice.

Again, please (re)read Kevin's previous emails and the original FESCo
ticket. There is a proposal to solve this issue too.

Best,
Orcan