FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 28 00:04:56 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Err, no. I didn't say that. You are missing the point. My list of
> differences wasn't a comprehensive comparison of DE's but Fedora driven
> important features that are lacking integration with KDE.
>
> I think KDE in Fedora falls short of the perfect integration that is
> claimed in the post I replied to.

That's not distro integration. It's Fedora developers who happen to be
upstream developers calling their upstream GNOME features "Fedora
features". That doesn't make them any less GNOME-only features. This is at
most a failure of our feature process, certainly not an integration problem
with KDE. In the end, what counts is what features are there, whether they
were implemented upstream by people who happen to be Fedora packagers or
not is completely irrelevant for the user. So
special-casing "Fedora-driven" features gets us nowhere.

I shall also point out that KDE is not standing still while features are
getting implemented in GNOME, in fact most of the ones you listed are being
implemented in KDE as we speak.

And finally, I'd like to question the "importance" of things like complex
interaction between Plymouth and the display manager for the sole purpose
of preventing the screen from blinking once.

        Kevin Kofler